Saturday, June 4, 2016

Review: Solitaire

Solitaire Solitaire by Alice Oseman
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Solitaire has made the list as one of my favorite debuts of 2016. The characters are realistic and honest. Tori, Michel, Charlie, Nick, Becky, and Lucas are all characters who are flawed and brilliant. The main character Tori is relatable from the music she listens to and the movies she watched. Another thing I wanted to mention is the way mental illness is portrayed when it comes to Charlie, Tori's brother as well as Tori herself. Charlie suffers from anxiety and anorexia prior to the beginning of the book. By the time, the book starts he has it under more control. Tori, on the other hand suffers from depression throughout the entire book. The only people who notice is are Michel and Charlie. What I loved about this aspect of the book was that it wasn't something that just went away as soon as the girl met the guy that in common in books that deal with mental illness. This was not the case. For one thing, Tori's depression doesn't go away. She deals with it constantly, she has good days and she has bad days. It is an honest portrayal. I loved the friendship between Tori and Michel, and I was happy that this book has no romance in it. These were two characters who had formed a strong bond because they were two lonely people who were both angry at the world. One of my favorite scenes is when Michel and Tori are watching Beauty and The Beast at a party. It's a sweet scene because it's the first time that Michel is vulnerable around Tori. Charlie and Nick were great together. I loved their relationship, it was sweet. I loved this book and I can't wait to pick up Alice Oseman's second book, Radio Silence. I would recommend this book for fans of John Green, Perks of Being a Wallflower, and The Catcher in The Rye.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment