Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Review: Me Before You

Me Before You Me Before You by Jojo Moyes
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I though that I was going to be reading a romance, what I got was an emotional rollercoaster. This book was very intense because of the emotional scenes that it had along with the topics discussed in the book. The characters of Louisa and Will were great. They were real people with personalities and flaws. You really felt the level of anxiety that Louisa felt, I felt it while I was reading the book that I had to put it down sometimes. I though the way the author handled the topic was done well. It is a controversial topic so I liked that it was addressed from both sides, without it feeling like it was being forced down on us. I like their families. The character of Louisa's boyfriend Patrick was annoying, you can tell that he was only used as a plot device to further Louisa and Will's relationship. Speaking of them, I loved how their relationship developed throughout the book. They helped each other Will taught Louisa how to broad her horizons. While its Will that encourages her, I feel that it would have been better if Louisa did it the other times, instead of relying on Will. We're told she's intelligent, so it makes Louisa seem that she wouldn't have even though of those things herself unless Will suggested it. Some things I feel could have been developed more was the dialogue and the pacing. Also, there was a scene suggesting that Louisa was sexually assaulted when she was in her early 20s. It mentioned only once with Will. I think that could been explored a little more. It seemed that it impacted her because she still doesn't go back there since it happened to her. The ending was why I expected. There was no other way it would have been different. I rated this book 4 stars. I highly recommend it.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment