Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Chapter 4

My next class was English. The teacher's name was Emily Daniels. She was a petite women with  short black hair and brown eyes. I sat in the middle of the class. Soon enough, Mike came in smiling and sat down next to me. I ignored him and focused on the teacher. 
" Ok, seniors. Since this is your last year, I thought that instead of making you guys read Shakespeare, we would go for something more modern and easier to understand which is why we will be reading The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald", said Ms. Daniels.
Apparently, the great Gatsby is one of those classics that everyone has read. Mike turned to me as the books were being passed around. " So, when do yu want to meet up?" he said. I was confused then I remembered the project. "  I guess after school works, if you're not busy or anything", I said. He smiled and grabbed my hand, " great, then its a date". I figured he would let go of my hand, but he didn't. 
" Miss Montez, Mr Gold, is there something that you would like to share with the class?", the teacher said with her eyebrows raised. Great, now we'll get detention. Stupid Mike.
" No, ma'am", I said quickly. Last thing I need to get detention because of this guy.
" Wonderful, then perhaps you can answer this question,  Gatsby's  love for Daisy is what drives him to do irrational things, why do you think that is, Miss Montez?, she asked.
Before I knew it, I was answering the question. " Its because Daisy was his first love when he was young. When's you're young, everything feels like the end of the world. Everything is intense when it comes to your first love. Its the first time you're feeling these emotions and you don't know what to do with them. All you know that you want to be with this person because they make you happy. You allow yourself to be vulnerable around them and they don't judge you. You have all these fears because you don't know what's going to happen next, but when you look at them all those fears go away because that person is a part of your life and nothing could ever change that", I said softly. Mike looked at me then and grabbed my hand again.
" Excellent, Miss Montez, it is because his love was intense that he does everything to feel that way again", Ms Daniels said. She then looked at Mike, frowning.
" Mr. Gold, since you seem to love touching Miss Montez, and you clearly are not paying attention to the class because you are focused on her, I am making the two of you partners. Perhaps, you can learn a thing or two from her  she seems to have understood the story ", she said handing us two books, one for each.

No comments:

Post a Comment